More than 1,200 schools, conferences and affiliate organizations collectively invest in improving the experiences of student-athletes – on the field, in the classroom, and in life.
Our diverse membership includes schools with student bodies that range from hundreds of students to tens of thousands. The current three-division structure creates a fair playing field for like-minded institutions and provides student-athletes with a wide spectrum of opportunities to participate in 89 championship events.
College and university presidents and chancellors guide each division, supported by an extensive committee structure guided by athletics administrators, faculty and student-athlete representatives. Each division creates its own rules that follow the overarching principles of the NCAA.
The active member schools self-determine which of three divisions they will be classified in and must annually meet membership criteria for that division. The active member institutions and voting conferences are the ultimate voice in all Association decisions.
The NCAA Membership
- Lists of NCAA Schools and Conferences by Division (can also be sorted by state)
- Lists of NCAA Schools and Conferences by Sport (can also be sorted by state)
- NCAA Member Web Sites
- Composition and Sport Sponsorship of the Membership
- The NCAA Directory (My Apps login required)
- Sport Sponsorship / Demographic Form (My Apps login required)
- Becoming an NCAA Member Institution