The mission of the Division II FAR Fellows Institute is:
…to provide an intense developmental opportunity for a core group of experienced faculty athletics representatives (FAR) to enhance their ability to perform the critical functions of Division II FARs. Through networking with other Division II FAR leaders, enhancing skills as leaders and engaging in case studies, FARs are both inspired and challenged to enrich the Division II student-athlete intercollegiate athletics experience.
Each NCAA Division II conference office is requested to nominate two FAR candidates to be considered as nominees for the 2016 Division II FAR Fellows Institute. In addition, FARs at independent institutions can self-nominate for the 2016 FAR Fellows Institute.
To qualify, candidates must:
- Have served in the position of FAR at an NCAA institution for at least one year;
- Be enthusiastic and interested in enhancing the role of the FAR;
- Be committed to student-athlete well-being;
- Be willing to attend the fall 2016 FAR Fellows Institute;
- Participate in pre-Institute assignments (readings and assessments);
- Complete all pre-Institute assignments by assigned deadlines (readings and an online assessment).
- Commit to completing a project after developing an action plan at the Institute and report to the 2016 NCAA Division II FAR Fellows Institute Steering Committee;
- Have institutional support for attending the FARA and NCAA Convention meetings and for carrying out FAR Fellows Institute action plans.
- Attend the NCAA Convention for a special session aimed at sharing experiences from the Institute with others and honoring the FAR fellows; and
- Be interested in and willing to mentor other FARs.
Additionally, it is expected that FARs selected as FAR Fellows will stay in their position for some period of time after the Institute in order to effectively carry out the objectives of the special joint initiative of FARA and Division II.
Nominees should complete the online form by March 11, 2016.
This year's Institute is scheduled to take place September 30 - October 2, 2016 in Indianapolis, Indiana.