You are here

International Academic Requirements

Like all college-bound student-athletes with a goal to play NCAA Division I or II athletics, international students must meet specific academic requirements. These requirements include completing a specific number of core courses, earning a minimum grade point average (GPA) and SAT/ACT score, graduating from high school (upper secondary or pre-university schooling) and being accepted to a DI or DII school.

As part of the academic certification process, all prospective student-athletes must submit the following academic information:

Academic Records

Academic records include documents such as transcripts, yearly grade reports, mark sheets or official leaving exam results.

If English is not the primary language of instruction at the school you attended, you must submit complete, line-by-line certified English translations for all your documents in the same format as the native language documents.

Click here for information on how to submit academic records.

Failure to include any of these items may delay review of your records. In certain situations, the NCAA Eligibility Center may ask for additional academic documentation to clarify that your academic information is complete, valid and accurate. Additional requests will be posted to your NCAA Eligibility Center account via tasks.

Need an account with the NCAA Eligibility Center? Click here to register.

For information on these specific academic requirements, please review the following resources:

Graduation Credentials

Your school must submit proof of graduation showing you completed upper secondary or pre-university schooling. Graduation credentials may be called a final diploma, a leaving exam, a maturity certificate, a record of learning, a higher certificate or some other proof of graduation, but it must include the official name or type of diploma and the date issued.

For more information on acceptable graduation credentials, please see country-specific lists in the NCAA Guide to International Academic Standards for Athletics Eligibility.

If your graduation credential includes a leaving certificate, maturity exam, record of learning, higher certificates or exam certificates, ask your school to submit original academic documents or copies certified by your secondary school. Exam results must be exam-board-issued results. A list provided by your school or a computer-printout from an exam officer is not acceptable.

Please note: All academic records must be provided in both the native language and certified English translation if English is not the primary language of instruction at the school you attended.

Click here for information on how to submit graduation credentials.

Test Scores

When you register for the SAT or ACT, use the NCAA Eligibility Center code 9999 so your scores are sent directly to the NCAA Eligibility Center from the testing agency. Test scores on transcripts cannot be used in your academic certification. Paper test score results and results from TOEFL exams will not be accepted. It is best for students to list the NCAA Eligibility Center as a score recipient at the time of exam registration to avoid additional fees.

You must take the SAT or ACT before enrolling full time in college. If you take the SAT or ACT after graduating high school but before enrolling full time in college, the college recruiting you must submit a matriculation form confirming you took the test before enrolling full time in college.

Click here for more information on sending scores to directly to your NCAA Eligibility Center account.