Legislative Relief Waivers
What is a (Sub)Committee for Legislative Relief Waiver?
The NCAA Division I Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief (SLR), the NCAA Division II Committee for Legislative Relief (CLR) and the NCAA Division III Management Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief were created in 1993 as a response to the membership’s desire for more rules flexibility. These waiver groups were originally established as subcommittees of the NCAA Divisions I, II and III Management Councils to review the application of NCAA legislation in cases where the circumstances are extraordinary in nature (Divisions II and III NCAA Bylaw 18.104.22.168, Division I Bylaw 22.214.171.124).
Legislative Relief Voice Mail: If you have specific questions regarding the CLR/SLR waiver process, a potential CLR/SLR waiver and/or a specific waiver you are filing call the legislative relief voice mail at 317/917-6144 and leave a message as to the nature of your question. A legislative relief staff member will return your call as soon as possible.
Urgent Phone Waivers: If you have an urgent waiver request involving immediate unforeseen circumstances, it is possible that relief may be provided over the telephone. Please call the legislative relief voice mail at 317/917-6144. The voice mail is checked repeatedly throughout the day from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday. Click the following link for more information about urgent phone waiver requests:
Legislative Relief Waiver Submission Process
NCAA member institutions, conferences and committees/subcommittees may apply for a CLR/SLR waiver when no other committee/subcommittee has the authority to waive specific NCAA legislation for extenuating/extraordinary circumstances.
Instructions To Submit an Application for a Legislative Relief Waiver Through Requests/Self-Reports Online.
1. On the menu bar above, click on the My Apps link.
2. Login to the NCAA Applications Authentication Service using your NCAA.org credentials.
3. In the My Applications tab, click on Requests/Self-Reports Online*.
4. Click on the Requests or Self-Report tab.
5. Select from the drop-down menu to begin a request.
6. Click here for the Request/Self-Reports Online Submission Procedures.
7. Click here for the Legislative Relief Waiver Application Process.
8. If you have questions or have trouble with submission of your waiver request, please send an email with your issue to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the case number in your email.
*If Requests/Self-Reports Online does not appear on the My Applications tab, contact your institutional Single-Source Sign-On administrator to have the application added to your privileges.
Click on the legislative relief division specific links below for other helpful information:
NCAA Division I Legislative Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief (SLR)
NCAA Division III Management Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief (SLR)