COMMITTEE INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS INTERESTED IN POSSIBLY SERVINGON NCAA COMMITTEES
NUMBER OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
There are 19 members, comprised of Division III Chief Executive Officers, faculty athletics representatives, athletic directors, senior woman administrators, conference representatives and student-athletes.At lease two members, except student-athletes shall represent each DIII geographical regions.NCAA Division III Manual (4.7.1): other criteria include:
- At least 9 members must be athletic directors or senior woman administrators;
- At least 2 members must be institutional CEOs;
- At least 2 members must be faculty athletics representatives;
- At least 3 members must be ethnic minorities;
- At least 8 members must be female;
- At least 8 members must be male; and
- 2 members representing the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee.
GENERAL DUTIES OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
- NCAA Division III Manual (4.7.3) Duties include:
- Implement policies adopted by the Presidents Council and Executive Committee;
- Resolve Division III issues;
- Make recommendations to the presidents Council related to Division III matters;
- Adopt noncontroversial and intent-based amendments, administrative bylaws and regulations to govern Division III;
- Recommend legislative proposals for sponsorship by the Presidents Council;
- Make interpretations of Division III bylaws;
- Delegate the resolution of DIII issues to the DIII substructure and consider relevant reports and recommendations from the substructure;
- Review appeals by member institutions of decisions made within the Division III governance structure; and
- Administer duties related to the business session of the annual Convention.
NUMBER OF IN-PERSON MEETINGS PER YEAR :
- The Management Council meets on a quarterly basis: during the second week of January at the NCAA Convention, in mid-April, mid-July and mid-October.The April and October meetings are held at the National Office in Indianapolis, while the January meeting is held in conjunction with the NCAA Convention and the location of the July meeting changes each year. Meetings are two-day events held on weekdays.
NUMBER OF CONFERENCE CALLS PER YEAR:
- The Division III Management Council generally meets only in person. However, other subsequent committee and subcommittee membership may require the reliance upon conference call meetings. Frequency and length of these conference calls is determined by the membership, issues and tasks charged to the group .
- Concurrent with service on the Council, members will serve as a liaison (voting member) on at least one Division III general committee (see Bylaw 21.9.6) and at least Association-wide committee (see Bylaw 188.8.131.52) and two to three Council subcommittees. Service on the committee(s) terminates at the expiration of their term on the Management Council . The Council chair will solicit interest for committee vacancies, as appropriate, and confirm all appointments based on interest and committee/subcommittee needs prior to the January Council meeting.