Drug Testing Appeals Process
The NCAA drug-testing program allows an institution to appeal a positive drug test on behalf of a student-athlete who has tested positive or who violated NCAA drug-testing protocol.
- The institution must submit in writing the grounds for the appeal and a summary of the institutional drug-education program.
- At least three members of the drug education and drug-testing subcommittee of the NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports (CSMAS) hear appeals.
- Appeals are conducted by telephone conference.
- The director of athletics or designee and the student-athlete must be on the appeal call.
- The NCAA will not restrict access for any reason to an institution that wishes to appeal and has satisfied the appeal procedures.
- In the event that the appeal is accepted, no further action regarding the student-athlete’s
- eligibility need be taken. In the event that the subcommittee denies the appeal, the provisions of Bylaw 18.104.22.168 will be applicable.
Last Updated: Aug 14, 2012