PANEL INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS INTERESTED IN SERVING ON THE PLAYING RULES OVERSIGHT PANEL
NUMBER OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- The Playing Rules Oversight Panel (PROP) has 12 members, including six from Division I, three from Division II and three from Division III.
- Three of the Division I members are from the Championships/Competition Cabinet, and three are appointed by the Conference Commissioners Association.
- Division II PROP membership is one Championships Committee member and two members selected at-large.
- One Division III member is a representative from the Championships Committee and two members are selected at-large.
GENERAL DUTIES OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Oversight of Playing Rules Committees, which includes approving rules changes made by each of the 15 committees annually.
- Oversight of rules modifications for the sports for which the NCAA does not write playing rules.
- Provide direction to the NCAA staff on playing rules issues.
- Provide occasional counsel to Playing Rules Committees when dealing with difficult rules issues.
NUMBER OF IN-PERSON MEETINGS PER YEAR (include approximate dates and days away from office)
- One in-person meeting per year, typically in January before the NCAA Convention, for one or two days, including travel.
NUMBER OF CONFERENCE CALLS PER YEAR (include the usual day of the week and average length of call)
- Generally, there are five conference calls in (April, June, July, August and September), and additional calls, as needed. Typically the calls are on Wednesdays and last an hour.
- One of the two at-large members in both Divisions II and III need to have playing rules experience, which is defined as officiating experience, previous service on a rules committee, previous service on a committee with responsibility for playing rules administration or coaching.