What the brand wants to accomplish
To govern competition in a fair, safe, equitable and sportsmanlike manner, and to integrate intercollegiate athletics into higher education so that the educational experience of the student-athlete is paramount.
DII positioning statement
Who we are
Life in the Balance. Higher education has lasting importance on an individual’s future success. For this reason, the emphasis for the student-athlete experience in Division II is a comprehensive program of learning and development in a personal setting. The Division II approach provides growth opportunities through academic achievement, learning in high-level athletic competition and development of positive societal attitudes in service to community. The balance and integration of these different areas of learning opportunity provide Division II student-athletes a path to graduation while cultivating a variety of skills and knowledge for life ahead.
What we stand for
- Learning: multiple opportunities to broaden knowledge and skills
- Balance: emphasis on collective knowledge; integration of skills
- Resourcefulness: versatile skill set drawn from broad range of experiences
- Sportsmanship: respect for fairness; courtesy; ethical conduct toward others
- Passion: enthusiastic dedication and desire in effort
- Service: positive societal attitude through contributions to community
Key benefits of the DII experience
Student-Athletes / Parents
- Participation in high-level athletic competition without an overemphasis of sports in student life
- Availability of faculty and sports staff in a personal setting
- With the broad, versatile range of experiences, student-athletes are more likely to find interest and value in school and therefore stay to graduate
- Upon graduation, the student-athlete will leave with broader experiences, skills and knowledge as resources for the future
- With personal setting and multiple areas of learning, student-athletes can have an impact with peers, community and school
- Achieve educational mission and graduation success for student-athletes through a comprehensive program that provides path to graduation and develops broad skill set
- High-level athletic competition for institution, region, community and student-athlete without an overemphasis on sports at the institution
- Opportunity for personal mentoring, coaching, teaching with student-athletes
- Impact local community / develop key local relationships through participation in Division II national community-engagement program
- High-level, passionate athletic competition for local communities and region in an intimate, family-friendly environment
- Opportunities to interface face-to-face with student-athletes in different venues
- Positive impact in local communities and region through Division II national program
- Show support for educational mission of student-athletes and development of youth
- Invest in the educational mission of student-athletes and development of youth into productive citizens
- Promote high-level athletic competition in local communities and region
- Impact local community / develop key local relationships through support of Division II national community-engagement program
Division II features
12 reasons to believe in Division II
- Graduation Rate. Division II student-athlete graduation rate is consistently 10 to 15 percent higher than the total student body.
- Class Time. Division II’s regionalization philosophy rewards the scheduling of local or regional opponents in the regular season, resulting in limited missed class time for student-athletes.
- Athletics Scholarships. Many Division II student-athletes receive athletics scholarships and other forms of financial aid to pay for school.
- Personal Attention. Student-athletes receive a quality education at DII institutions that often feature an exceptional teacher-to-student ratio.
- Additional Assistance. The Degree-Completion Scholarship Program provides deserving Division II student-athletes who have exhausted their collegiate eligibility with financial assistance.
- National Championships Opportunities. Division II features unparalleled opportunity for student-athletes to advance to national championship competition as a result of the division’s generous championship access ratios.
- Community Partnerships. Division II has initiated national community partnerships with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and Habitat for Humanity.
- Unique Fiscal Model. Division II offers a unique fiscal model for intercollegiate athletics that redefines the institutional value for sponsoring sports and offering athletics scholarships.
- Innovative Solutions. Division II encourages innovative policy and program decisions unique to the NCAA, such as the development of Division II National Championships Festivals and a national community engagement program.
- Teacher/Coaches. Many Division II coaches continue to provide other services for their institution and in the community, including teaching and mentoring.
- Proud Alumni. Former Division II student-athletes include governors, senators, entertainers, corporate leaders and professional athletes.
- National Recognition. Division II student-athletes have received the NCAA’s highest individual honors, including winning the Walter Byers Scholarship Award (the Association’s top student-athlete) and the NCAA Woman of the Year Award.