COMMITTEE INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS
INTERESTED IN POSSIBLY SERVING
ON NCAA COMMITTEES
- NAME OF COMMITTEE:
NCAA Division II Committee for Legislative Relief (CLR)
- NUMBER OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
The Division II Committee for Legislative Relief shall consist of five members, including one member of the Division II Management Council.
- GENERAL DUTIES OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
- The committee shall serve as the final decision-making body for any waiver requests in situations where no other committee, subcommittee or conference has the authority to act. (Responsibilities previously handled by the Division II Management Council)
- The committee shall establish policies and procedures for hearing waiver requests in situations where no other committee, subcommittee or conference has the authority to act. The policies and procedures established for processing such waiver requests shall be approved by the Division II Management Council.
- The committee may grant relief of the legislation when extenuating circumstances exist or may determine that relief should not be granted. The committee also may impose conditions when relief of the legislation is granted.
- The committee shall identify and consider legislation to address matters related to the constitutions and bylaws (e.g., amateurism, financial aid, transfers, recruiting).
- NUMBER OF IN-PERSON MEETINGS PER YEAR (include approximate dates and days away from office):
The committee shall participate in conference calls, as needed, and shall attend one or two in-person meetings per year that last for one day.
- NUMBER OF CONFERENCE CALLS PER YEAR (include the usual day of the week and average length of call):
Currently, there is a weekly teleconference scheduled for 10:30 a.m. Eastern time each Friday, unless there are no cases for review. Additionally, there are at least two teleconferences per year dedicated to updating the committee and addressing any pertinent issues that may have arisen.
6. OTHER COMMENTS:
Term of Service:
Members of the Division II Committee for Legislative Relief shall be elected for one three-year term. An individual may be immediately reelected to a second three-year term.
- Knowledge of Division II rules and regulations (primarily in the areas of amateurism, recruiting, transfers and financial aid)
- Experience as an administrator in intercollegiate athletics, including at least three years at a Division II institution or conference
- Ability to analyze and to think critically
- Understanding of the student-first philosophy and its application when extenuating circumstances exist