COMMITTEE INFORMATION FOR INDIVIDUALS INTERESTED IN POSSIBLY SERVING ON NCAA COMMITTEES
NUMBER OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
The Division I Women's Basketball Issues Committee shall consist of 16 voting members; including eight members appointed by and representing Division I-A (one allocated for a current Division I-A head women's basketball coach or designated alternate coach); six members appointed by and representing Divisions I-AA and I-AAA (one allocated to a current Divisions I-AA or I-AAA head women's basketball coach or designated alternate coach) and two women's basketball student-athletes, one representing Division I-A and one representing Division I-AA or I-AAA. Serving as an ex officio member without a vote shall be a member of the NCAA Women's Basketball Committee.
GENERAL DUTIES OF COMMITTEE MEMBERS:
Pursuant to Bylaw 126.96.36.199.3.2.2 the committee shall:
- Ensure appropriate oversight of the sport of women's basketball is maintained, with emphasis on recruiting activities, enhance the development and public perception of the sport; and Make recommendations on policy issues unrelated to legislative and playing rules changes.
- The mission of the committee is to ?provide leadership to create and advance an intercollegiate environment that assures quality academic and competitive experiences for student-athletes and supports the game of basketball in a manner that promotes excellence, fairness, integrity and a commitment to education.
- Members are encouraged to attend the Women?s Final Four but not required.
- Select committee members may be asked to attend WBCA meetings or other basketball-related events, but those outside obligations are few and voluntary.
- Committee members shall expect to attend two in-person meetings per year. These meetings have typically been held in September and in May. The meetings require a one-night stay as the meetings normally begin around 3 p.m.and conclude the next day by noon.
- Committee members are all assigned to one of three subcommittees and the subcommittee meetings are typically held in conjunction with the full committee meetings.
NUMBER OF CONFERENCE CALLS PER YEAR (include the usual day of the week ):
- Both the full committee and the subcommittees may have periodic conference calls which are conducted on an 'as needed' basis. Calls typically are no longer than one hour.
Each committee member will serve on one of three subcommittees.The subcommittees are:
- Marketing and Promotions
- Quality of the game
- Recruiting and student-athlete welfare.