The NCAA established the Division II Degree Completion Award Program in 2001 to provide deserving student-athletes financial assistance for them to complete their first baccalaureate degree. Candidates will be students who have exhausted their athletics eligibility and have received athletics financial aid. The selection process for the national award emphasizes the academic performance of the student-athlete. Other factors considered are financial circumstances, athletic achievement and involvement in campus and community activities.
To date, nearly $4 million has been given to approximately 1,000 deserving student-athletes. Of those student-athletes who have received the award since its inception, 94 percent have earned their undergraduate degree using this program.
Requirements for the Award
- Applicant shall be a student-athlete who has exhausted athletics eligibility at an active NCAA Division II institution within the past academic year.
- Awards are limited to student-athletes during their first 10 semesters or 15 quarters of full-time collegiate attendance.
- Applicant shall not be participating in another intercollegiate sport during the period of the award.
- Applicant must have received athletics-related financial aid from the NCAA Division II member institution.
- Applicant must be within 32 semester or 48 quarters hours of completion of his or her first undergraduate degree at the completion of the spring term.
- Applicant must have a 2.50 cumulative grade-point average.
- Applicant shall not receive any athletics aid if awarded a Division II Degree Completion Award.
- Applicant shall use the grant to complete undergraduate degree requirements from the Division II institution where the applicant last competed.
How to Apply
The following materials are required to complete the application process.
- Nomination can be initiated by the nominee or by FAR, Athletics Director, SWA or other designee.
- The nominee must include a personal statement that includes answers to the each of the following questions:
- How will this scholarship benefit you?
- Why have you not completed your degree program?
- How do you plan to use your degree?
- List of extracurricular activities, leadership roles, academic honors and awards.
- List of athletic participation and athletic honors and awards.
- Academic information from the dean of the college, faculty advisor or head of the department responsible for the applicant’s academic program.
- Financial aid information from the financial aid office.
- Endorsement(s) from the director of athletics, senior woman administrator, faculty athletics representative or coach at the Division II institution.
- An official transcript from the institution where the student-athlete exhausted his or her athletics eligibility must be included. Applications must also include official transcripts from all institutions the student-athlete previously attended. Official transcripts can be scanned and uploaded to the system as a .pdf document.
The 2017-18 application is currently available on Program Hub and the application deadline for the 2017-18 awards is March 30, 2017.
Applications are reviewed by a special committee composed of the representatives from six Division II institutions. The selection committee is comprised of :
Two representatives from the Division II Academic Requirements Committee;
One NCAA Division II Management Council representative;
One Division II director of athletics appointed by the Division II Athletic Directors’ Association; and Two Division II faculty athletics representatives appointed by the Faculty Athletics Representatives Assocition.
The following links will provide you more information regarding this program.