Future FAQs

Frequently asked questions for future student-athletes

What are the acceptable delivery requirements to send additional supporting academic documentation to the NCAA Eligibility Center for international students?



Each task on the student’s account will have specific details about how to submit specific information to the NCAA Eligibility Center. Tasks assigned to a student’s account requesting correspondence typically include the invitation for a school or other educational entity to email the correspondence to Eligibility Center staff for review. The correspondence must:

  1. Be written on school letterhead.
  2. Be signed by a school administrator.
  3. Include a clear explanation that answers the inquiry conveyed in the task assigned.
  4. Include the student’s name and NCAA ID number.

Failure to fully respond to the task may delay the review and may necessitate the assignment of additional tasks.

However, academic documents (such as high school transcripts, leaving certificates, diplomas, and so forth) must be mailed to the NCAA Eligibility Center or emailed to ec-processing@ncaa.org by the issuing body (e.g., a secondary school submits their own transcripts, an exam board submits their certificates, etc.). (Please note: Students may not submit documentation.) Translations must also be submitted if the native language is not English.


eFAQ 157


What are the acceptable delivery requirements to send ACT and/or SAT score results to the NCAA Eligibility Center?



Test score(s) from either the ACT or SAT can only be received and accepted as official via electronic transmission directly from the testing agency. As a reminder, please be sure when registering for either the ACT or SAT, to enter recipient code "9999" to request that your score is sent electronically directly to the NCAA Eligibility Center.


eFAQ 156


What academic documents are required for an international college-bound student-athlete?



International college-bound student athletes must submit official copies of their term-by-term transcripts (for years nine and up) in the native language. (If the academic documents are published in a language other than English, certified line-by-line English translations must also be submitted.) In many countries, year nine occurs prior to high school or upper secondary school. Please refer to the International Guide for specific details about when year nine commonly occurs in your country and the country-specific terms used to convey this level of education.

Starting with year nine, each school the student attended must submit official copies of the student’s transcripts to the Eligibility Center. Keep in mind that if a student has attended multiple schools since the initial start of year nine, the Eligibility Center will require each school to submit official copies of the student's transcripts to the Eligibility Center.    

Students must also submit official copies of acceptable proof of graduation, which is traditionally earned after secondary education. Please refer to the International Guide for details about which documents constitute proof of graduation. (If these documents are published in a language other than English, certified line-by-line English translations of these documents will also be required.)

Additional documentation may need to be submitted. Please monitor your task list and review the International Guide for more information about what may be required. All documents must be submitted to the NCAA Eligibility Center, as directed within the International Guide.

Please note the NCAA Eligibility Center cannot return documents. In instances where the student needs to retain their documents, we recommend the student works with the athletics compliance office at the NCAA institution they plan to attend so that this office can coordinate with the admissions and/or registrar’s office the eventual submission of official copies of these documents to the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Note: Please make sure all submitted documents include your name (as listed on your NCAA account) and your NCAA ID number.


eFAQ 155

Does the NCAA accept ACT Compass scores?



ACT Compass scores are not usable for NCAA eligibility purposes. The ACT Compass test is an untimed, computerized test used by many two- and four-year colleges and universities for admissions or placement purposes. Only ACT or SAT test results achieved under national testing conditions on a national testing date prior to full-time collegiate enrollment are usable for NCAA purposes. ACT state-administered tests may also be used. Students with education-impacting disabilities may use scores achieved during a nonstandard administration of the SAT or ACT. A student who takes the nonstandard test must achieve the minimum required test score; however, the test is not required to be administered on a national testing date.


eFAQ 154


Will the scores from SATs taken during or after March 2016 be combined with scores from SATs taken prior to March 2016?



If a student-athlete took the SAT before March 2016 and then takes the redesigned SAT at a later date, the NCAA Eligibility Center will not combine section scores from the previous SAT and the redesigned SAT when determining the student-athlete's initial eligibility. The NCAA Eligibility Center will only combine section scores from the same version of the test. Because the redesigned SAT varies in design and measures different academic concepts than the previous SAT, a numerical score on the previous test may not be equivalent to the same numerical score on the redesigned test. In evaluating your score, the Eligibility Center will use the College Board concordance tables. Click here for more information on test scores.


eFAQ 153


Does the umbrella program administrator or the parent complete the home school administrator statement?



Neither. We do not need the home school administrator statement if the program is a state-recognized home school program or home school support program, and has been approved by the Eligibility Center. If it is a home school co-op then it can be signed by either.


eFAQ 150


Does the umbrella program administrator or the parent sign the transcript?



The transcript can be signed by an umbrella program administrator unless the program is a home school co-op. In that case, it will be signed by a parent.


eFAQ 149


How is the academic redshirt certification different than the competition certification?



If a college-bound student-athlete does NOT meet all of the initial-eligibility standards (core-course progression requirement, minimum 2.3 core-course grade point average (GPA)) for competition, a separate certification is completed using the 16 core courses with the best grades in the student’s academic record (no core-course progression requirement) to calculate the core-course GPA for academic redshirt purposes. This core-course GPA is paired with the student’s SAT or ACT score and assessed against the academic redshirt sliding scale (minimum 2.0 core-course GPA).


eFAQ 147


The core courses used to meet the core-course progression (10/7) requirement were different at the time of a preliminary certification than at the time of the final certification. Why?



Core courses used to meet the core-course progression (10/7) requirement at the time of preliminary evaluation may be different than those used at the time of final certification to provide the best possible outcome for a student, based on the final academic record.


eFAQ 142



Subscribe to RSS - Future FAQs