What is a (sub)Committee for Legislative Relief Waiver?
The NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief (CLR), the NCAA Division II Committee for Legislative Relief (CLR) and the NCAA Division III Management Council Subcommittee for Legislative Relief were created in 1993 as a response to the membership’s desire for more rules flexibility. These waiver groups were originally established as subcommittees of the NCAA Divisions I, II and III Management Councils to review the application of NCAA legislation in cases where the circumstances are extraordinary in nature (Divisions II and III NCAA Bylaw 22.214.171.124, Division I Bylaw 126.96.36.199).
Legislative relief voice mail
If you are from a member institution or conference and have specific questions regarding the CLR/SLR waiver process, a potential CLR/SLR waiver and/or a specific waiver you are filing call the legislative relief voice mail at 317/917-6144 and leave a message as to the nature of your question. A legislative relief staff member will return your call as soon as possible.Please note this line is for member institutions/conferences only. If you are with the general public please call the NCAA Customer Service Center at 317/917-6008
Urgent phone waivers
If you are from a member institution or conference and have an urgent waiver request involving immediate unforeseen circumstances, it is possible that relief may be provided over the telephone. Please call the legislative relief voice mail at 317/917-6144. The voice mail is checked repeatedly throughout the day from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern time Monday through Friday. Please note this line is for member institutions/conferences only. If you are with the general public please call the NCAA Customer Service Center at 317/917-6008. Click the following link for more information about urgent phone waiver requests:
Requests/Self-Reports Online (RSRO): legislative relief waiver submission process
NCAA member institutions, conferences and committees/subcommittees may apply for a CLR/SLR waiver when no other committee/subcommittee has the authority to waive specific NCAA legislation for extenuating/extraordinary circumstances.
Instructions to submit an application for a legislative relief waiver through Requests/Self-Reports Online.
1. On the menu bar above, click on the My Apps link.
2. Login to the NCAA Applications Authentication Service using your NCAA.org credentials.
3. In the My Applications tab, click on Requests/Self-Reports Online*.
4. Click on the Requests or Self-Report tab.
5. Select from the drop-down menu to begin a request.
6. Click here for the Request/Self-Reports Online Submission Procedures.
7. Click here for the Legislative Relief Waiver Application Process.
8. If you have questions or have trouble with the submission of your waiver request, please send an email with your issue to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the case number in your email. Please note that this email is for member institutions or conferences only.
*If Requests/Self-Reports Online does not appear on the My Applications tab, contact your institutional Single-Source Sign-On administrator to have the application added to your privileges.
Click on the legislative relief division specific links below for other helpful information:
NCAA Division I Committee for Legislative Relief (CLR)
- Division I Announcements
- Division I Information Standards, Guidelines and Directives
- Educational Column: Previously Approved Incidental Expenses (I)
- Due to the temporary review process, the NCAA Division I streamlined review process for the NCAA Eligibility Center amateurism certification cases is temporarily not in effect.
- Division I Policies and Procedures
- Division I Previously Approved Waivers List
- Division I Blanket Waivers
- April 2016 Report
- September 2015 report
- June 2015 report
- October 2014 report
- Division I Roster
- Division II Information Standards, Guidelines and Directives
- Division II Amateurism Certification Streamlined Review Process Thresholds
- Division II Policies and Procedures
- Division II Blanket Waivers
- Division II Incidental Expense Waivers