Nominations for the Award for Diversity and Inclusion open on July 15, offering members of the NCAA and the Minority Opportunities Athletic
s Association (MOAA) an opportunity to recognize and celebrate their initiatives, policies and practices that embrace diversity and inclusion across the intercollegiate athletics community.
Nomination forms are available at www.ncaa.org/diversity_inclusion and will be accepted through Sept. 19. The 2015 winner will be recognized at the 2015 NCAA Convention and participate at the MOAA Symposium, to be held in conjunction with the NACDA Convention in June, 2015.
The award represents a partnership between the NCAA and the MOAA to recognize community service, professional development, hiring practices and/or programming activities that enhance opportunities for people of diverse cultures, backgrounds and experiences. It is available to member institutions of the NCAA, including athletics departments and conference offices.
Nominations require two letters of support, which should be sent to email@example.com. Self-nominations are welcome. Nominations will describe how the nominee has fostered leadership and commitment to enhance diversity and inclusion and expanded opportunities for students, staff and/or faculty within the athletics community. Letters of support from self-nominated institutions, athletics departments or conference offices must come from members outside of the athletics department/conference office that have knowledge of their accomplishments or involvement with the programming.
Some characteristics of an award winner may include:
- Focusing on the importance and the benefits of managing diversity, equality and promoting a culture of inclusion.
- Raising and deepening awareness of equality and diversity issues, from both an employment and service provision point of view.
- Providing mentoring opportunities and/or programming internally or externally.
- Supporting inclusive and/or diversity related educational/professional development opportunities.
- Implementing creative and inclusive work policies to support the needs of a diverse staff.
- Fostering an environment that celebrates differences.
- Contributions in the last year for innovative initiatives that affect the organization internally or externally.