A 13-member Division I Football Competition Committee has formed to conduct research and provide counsel regarding the sport. The committee will report to the Division I Football Oversight Committee.
Ray Anderson, vice president for athletics at Arizona State University, will chair the Football Competition Committee. Previously, Anderson served as the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations and worked closely with the league’s competition committee in that capacity.
The Football Competition Committee includes one student-athlete, three current head coaches, one faculty athletics representative and eight Division I athletics administrators. Several other topical experts will serve as ex-officio members.
“This committee’s main purpose is to work to collect ideas and conduct appropriate research to continue to move the game forward,” Anderson said. “Focusing on health and safety and continuing to ensure the sport is exciting to play and watch will also be critical in our work.”
The committee will have regular communication with the Division I Football Oversight Committee and the NCAA Football Rules Committee. Three Football Rules Committee members and five Football Oversight Committee members serve on the Football Competition Committee.
Members from the Football Oversight Committee
- Ray Anderson, chair, Arizona State University vice president for athletics
- Shawn Eichorst, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, director of athletics
- Jon Steinbrecher, Mid-American Conference commissioner
- Paul Rogers, Southern Methodist University faculty athletics representative
- Vicky Chun, Colgate University director of athletics
- Austin Mack, The Ohio State University
Members from the Football Rules Committee
- Joey Jones, University of South Alabama head coach
- Larry Fedora, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, head coach
- Ed Stewart, Big 12 Conference senior associate commissioner
- Merton Hanks, Conference USA senior associate commissioner
- Scott Strickland, University of Florida director of athletics
- Craig Bohl, University of Wyoming head coach
- Ron Strollo, Youngstown State University director of athletics