Meet the committee
Committee chair and director of athletics at Wake Forest University
Wellman’s term on the committee began September 2009. As chair, he succeeds Mike Bobinski, the director of athletics at Georgia Tech University.
Other committee members include:
- Joe Alleva, director of athletics, Louisiana State University
- Scott Barnes, director of athletics, Utah State University
- Joe Castiglione, director of athletics, Oklahoma University
- Janet Cone, director of athletics, University of North Carolina at Asheville
- Tom Holmoe, director of athletics, Brigham Young University
- Mark Hollis, director of athletics, Michigan State University
- Judy MacLeod, executive associate commissioner, Conference USA
- Bernard Muir, director of athletics, Stanford University
- Bruce Rasmussen, director of athletics, Creighton University
- Peter Roby, director of athletics, Northeastern University
What's the committee's role?
The 10-member NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Committee is responsible for selecting and seeding the NCAA Tournament. School and conference administrators are nominated by their conference, serve five-year terms and represent a cross-section of the Division I membership.
Committee members spend countless hours evaluating teams during the regular season. They are expected to be experts on the teams within their assigned regions while maintaining a broad-based knowledge of Division I basketball.
Committee gathers and begins discussions for the upcoming basketball season, which begins about the same time. Conferences are divided among committee members so person can focus on monitoring assigned teams throughout the season.
Committee members attend the NCAA Convention and review what they have seen throughout the non-conference portion of the season. This is one of many conversations the group will have to swap opinions until they meet in person for selections.
The committee heads to Indianapolis a month before the real selection to go through a mock selection process. This helps new committee members get a feel for what will happen in March.
Tuesday before Selection Sunday
The committee arrives in Indianapolis for the beginning of the selection process. For the next five days, the 10 committee members debate, vote, and debate some more until the final bracket of 68 is released on Selection Sunday.