NCAA Pathway Program
The NCAA Pathway Program services all senior-level athletics administrators who wish to become director of athletics as their next career step. The program is working to provide national exposure to the participants and to facilitate the opportunity to obtain information and career guidance from the leadership of intercollegiate athletics across the country.
- Participants will gain a better understanding of the role of directors of athletics in all NCAA divisions.
- Participants will be provided with an in-depth look into the NCAA governance structure.
- Participants will be exposed to key intercollegiate athletics stakeholders across the country.
- Participants will be matched up with a director of athletics in the NCAA membership who will provide guidance and mentorship as they continue their current careers and pursue future career aspirations.
- Participants will be matched up with an NCAA member institution president/chancellor and participate in a one to two day campus visit.
- Associate-level directors of athletics or above (with consideration given to varying organizational structures per division).
- 8 years or more of intercollegiate athletics experience preferred.
- Recommended/endorsed by their director of athletics (or direct supervisor if current AD).
- Serves on senior leadership team.
- Recognized or demonstrated ability to lead through any or all of the following:
- Current work role.
- Educational association.
- Successful completion of professional leadership program (e.g., NACWAA/HERS, NACDA, MOAA).
- Staff supervision experience.
- Skills and experience in at least two of the following areas:
- Sport oversight (revenue sport preferred).
- Development (e.g., Associate AD for Development, Associate AD for Annual Giving).
- Fiscal and/or budget management (e.g., Sr. Associate AD - Chief Financial Officer, Associate AD for Business Operations, Associate AD – Finance).
- Coaching (previous or current).
- Senior Woman Administrator designation.
- Internal Operations (e.g., oversight of business, compliance, academics, facilities).
- External Operations (e.g., oversight of marketing/promotions, tickets, media relations, fund-raising).
Tentative 2014-15 In-person Pathway Schedule:
- 2014 NCAA Convention (January 12-14, 2014).
- April Governance meeting (April TBD).
- NACDA Convention (June 9-12, 2014).
- August meeting (August TBD).
- NCAA Governance meeting ( October TBD).
- 2015 graduation at NCAA Convention (January 2015).
- October 14, 2014 - Application closes.
- October 17, 2014 - Selection committee will rank applicants via the NCAA Program Hub.
- November 4, 2013 - Selection committee rankings due via the NCAA Program Hub.
- November 6, 7 or 8, 2013 - Selection committee call (if necessary).
- November 11, 2013 - 2014 Pathway participant class notified.
- November 13, 2013 - Pathway participants register for the 2014 NCAA Convention.
- November 15, 2013 - Pathway participants are emailed detailed information about the program.
- The application for the 2014-15 Pathway Program can be found at NCAA Program Hub. The deadline to apply is Monday, October 14, 2013.
If you have any questions regarding the NCAA Pathway Program please contact:
Associate Director of Leadership Development
Fellows in the News
Current NCAA Pathway Program Participants
Class of 2013
|Sharon Brummell||Association Athletic Director for Business and Finance/SWA||Georgetown University|
|Eric Dejuan Hart||Associate Athletic Director||Delaware State University|
|Jeffrey C. Howard||Senior Associate Athletic Director for External Relations||University of Denver|
|Kaitlyn McKittrick||Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance and Student Services/SWA||Lafayette College|
|G. Anthony Grant||Associate Director of Athletics (Academic Support)||Millersville University of Pennsylvania|
|Jaime Lee Lundgren||Associate Athletic Director/Director of Compliance/SWA||University of Nebraska at Kearney|
|Kimberly Miller||Assistant Athletic Director/Senior Woman Administrator/Head Women's Softball Coach||Shaw University|
|Heather Benning||Assistant Athletic Director/Associate Professor of Physical Education/Head Women's Soccer Coach/SWA||Grinnell College|
|Susan E. Fumagalli||Associate Director of Athletics||Gettysburg College|
|Lori Hendricks||Director of Athletics and Chair of the Department of Physical Education||Mount Holyoke College|
Graduates of the NCAA Pathway Program
Class of 2012
|Jessica Cherry||Assistant Athletic Director/SWA||York College (New York)|
|Amy Crosbie||Associate Athletic Director/SWA||Weber State University|
|Amy Folan||Associate Athletic Director for Administration and Sports Programs||The University of Texas|
|Shantey Hill||Senior Associate Director of Athletics/SWA||C.W. Post Campus/Long Island University|
|William Orr||Instructor of Sports Management||Livingstone College|
|Tracee Passeggi||Associate Director of Athletics/SWA||California State Polytechnic University, Pomona|
|Roderick Perry||Deputy Director of Athletics||Wright State University|
|Valerie Richardson||Associate Athletics Director||University of Virginia|
|Bradley Taylor||Assistant Director of Men’s Basketball Championships||NCAA|
|Jason Verdugo||Director of Athletics||Hamline University|
|Michelle Walsh||Associate Athletic Director/SWA||State University of New York at Geneseo|
|Julie Wengert||Associate Athletic Director for Administration||Missouri Southern State University|
Class of 2011
|Christyn Abaray||Director of Athletics||Buena Vista University|
|Sherie Cornish Gordon||Senior Associate AD for Administration/SWA||Norfolk State University|
|Avery Esdaile||Assistant Athletic Director||Wellesley College|
|Kimberly Johnson||Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Texas Christian University|
|Carmen Leeds||Senior Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations/SWA||Emporia State University|
|Monica Love||Associate Director of Athletics for Administration and Sports Services||U.S. Military Academy|
|Diane O’Brien||Executive Associate AD/SWA||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|Dr. Melody Reifel Werner||Interim Director of Athletics||Eastern Michigan University|
|Harry Stinson III||Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance||Kentucky State University|
|Alice Tym||Associate Director of Athletics/Director of Advancement||University of Illinois at Chicago|
|Peter Roby||Director of Athletics||Northeastern University|
|Kelly Mehrtens||Deputy Director of Athletics/Chief Operating Officer||University of Maryland, College Park|
Graduates of the NCAA Fellows Leadership Development Program
Class of 2009-2010
|Linda Andrzjewski||Athletic Director||Wilmington University (Delaware)|
|Lisa Campos||Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics||Northern Arizona University|
|Vicky Chun||Director of Athletics||Colgate University|
|Derek Horne||Director of Athletics||Florida A&M University|
|Kiki Jacobs||Associate Director of Athletics||Springfield College|
|Jim Sarra||Deputy Athletics Director||University of Texas at San Antonio|
|Tracy Scott||Associate Athletic Director for Compliance/SWA||Chicago State University|
|Darryl Sims||Director of Athletics||University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh|
|Allison Tookes||Associate Director of Athletics/SWA||Wayne State University (Michigan)|
|Marianne Vydra||Associate Athletic Director/SWA||Oregon State University|
|Carla Wilson||Senior Associate Athletics Director for Business and Administration/SWA||University of Missouri, Kansas City|
Class of 2007-2008
|Megan Boone||Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance Services||Stanford University|
|Wheeler Brown||Health and Physical Education Teacher||Guilford County Schools|
|Ann Carr||Senior Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Mississippi State University|
|Julio Freire||Senior Associate Athletics Director/Development||University of Nevada-Las Vegas|
|Dr. Jennifer Kulics||Student Ombuds||Kent State University|
|Carolyn O’Connell||Senior Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Loyola University (Illinois)|
|Milton Overton||Senior Associate Athletics Director for Technology Advancement||University of Alabama|
|Karen Peters||Senior Associate Athletics Director/SWA||University of Portland|
|Monica Severson||Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Wartburg College|
|TJ Shelton||Associate Athletics Director for Sports Administration||Ohio State University|
|Tricia Turley Brandenburg||Deputy Director of Athletics for Internal Operations||Towson University|
|Gerald Young||Director of Athletics||Carleton College|
Class of 2005-2006
|Dr. M. Grace Calhoun||Assistant Vice President and Director of Athletics||Loyola University (Chicago)|
|Kevin Clark||Senior Adviser to President Neil Theobald||Temple University|
|Philip Grayson||Associate Athletic Director for Administration/Quality Assurance||Clemson University|
|Jill LaPointe||ExecutiveAssociate Athletics Director/SWA||Providence College|
|Tracey Ranieri||Director of Athletics||State University College at Oneonta|
|Etienne Thomas||Associate Athletics Director for Internal Affairs and Compliance/SWA||North Carolina Central University|
|Tonia Walker||Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Winston-Salem State University|
Class of 2003-2004
|Amanda Ray Braun||Executive Senior Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Northeastern University|
|Megan Sobel||Senior Associate Athletic Director for Varsity Sports/SWA||Dartmouth College|
|Charles D. Guthrie||Director of Athletics||Clark College|
|Robert Tony O’Neal||Associate Athletic Director for Compliance||Bethune-Cookman University|
|Jill Michelle Redmond||Assistant Commissioner||Atlantic 10 Conference|
|Dr. Donald Raymond Reed||Senior Associate AD for Academics and Sports Management||University at Buffalo|
|Julie Ann Sandoval||Assistant Athletic Director of Compliance Services||California State University, Northridge|
Class of 2001-2002
|Gwen Lexow||Head Softball Coach/Associate Athletics Director/SWA||Bates College|
|Gloria Nevarez||Senior Associate Commissioner/SWA||Pac-12 Conference|
|Ralph Christopher Reynolds||Deputy Director of Athletics||Northwestern University|
|John Robinson Jr.|
|Faith Eileen Shearer||Associate Director of Athletics/SWA||Elon University|
|Corrinne Flora Wright|
|James Roderick Wyatt||Director of Human Relations||University of North Carolina at Greensboro|
Class of 1999-2000
|Jacqueline G. Campbell||Director of Division I Governance||NCAA|
|Sean T. Frazier||Deputy Athletic Director||University of Wisconsin|
|Floyd Kerr||Director of Athletics||Morgan State University|
|Dell Robinson||Commissioner||Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference|
|Alecia Shields-Gadson||Deputy Athletic Director/SWA||Coppin State University|
Class of 1997-1998
|Dr. James Brown||Professor of Education||Southern University at Shreveport|
|Damon Evans||Vice President, Business Development & Strategy||The Markley Group|
|Robert Minnix||Senior Associate Athletics Director||Washington State University|
|Robyn Sharp||Director of Development for Athletics||University of Nevada|
|Paula Smith||Deputy Athletic Director/SWA||University of California, Irvine|
|Marcella Zalot||Director of Athletics||Colby College|