NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy
The NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy (Coaches Academy) is a program designed to provide attendees with the opportunity to gain knowledge and insight into the world of coaching. Partnering together, the NCAA and NFL have initiated this effort to broaden active and former players’, as well as current intercollegiate coaches’ perspectives about what it takes to be an effective coach at the collegiate and professional levels.
Active and former NFL players, position coaches, coordinators and assistant or associate head coaches at NCAA member institutions will learn about and explore the progression of football coaching careers and matriculation. This unique academy will educate and train participants on topics such as communicating with campus constituents, the importance of building the right culture for the overall success of student-athletes, budget management, coaching strategies and other aspects of coaching at the collegiate football level.
By achieving the following objectives, the Coaches Academy will educate participants on the various aspects of securing, managing and excelling in their current and future positions, with the ultimate goal of becoming a head coach at a NCAA member institution.
Coaches Academy Overall Objectives:
- Participants will better understand how behavioral styles and personal values impact their effectiveness as an offensive or defensive coordinator.
- Participants will be provided with information on personal growth and development towards becoming an offensive or defensive coordinator.
- Participants will learn a realistic view of the role of an offensive, defensive or special team’s coordinator in collegiate athletics.
- Participants will examine the viability of pursuing a career as an offensive or defensive coordinator.
- Participants will network with football coaching professionals from NCAA member institutions.
Interested applicants must be an active/former NFL player or be a current collegiate football coach. There are no registration fees to attend and the Coaches Academy will provide meals and program materials. The participant shall provide travel costs.
The 2014 NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy will take place February 14-16, 2014 in Phoenix, Arizona.
The selection process will be competitive as only a total of thirty intercollegiate coaches will be selected to participate in the academy. Applicants will be asked to submit a resume and personal statement. In the personal statement, applicants need to ensure they discuss, in detail, the following:
Why do you want to attend the 2014 NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy?
- What do you hope to gain from your experience at the Coaches Academy?
- What inspired you to pursue a career in coaching?
- What is your philosophy for developing your football student-athletes to ensure these young men are prepared for life once their football career ends?
To submit an application for the 2014 NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy, please visit NCAA Program Hub to apply. All application materials must be submitted by Friday, November 22, 2013 to be considered.
For more information regarding the NCAA and NFL Coaches Academy, please contact:
Justin W. Paysinger
Assistant Director of Leadership Development